Tuesday 6 November 2012

Cloth? Disposable? or Both? - G-diapers

How many diapers have you (your baby) used?

Have you ever counted the number of diapers you've used/tossed away? I did a rough count and for my four month old baby, we've changed her 956 times already! That a whole lot of diapers in the landfill! Our municipality allows tossing of used diapers in the green bin. However, since disposable diapers are made of plastic, it can take up to 40-50 years to decompose! That means when my daughter is my age...her 956+ diapers are still around! 
Going down the route of using cloth diapers seems to be a more environmentally friendly choice (although some would argue that as well...due to the amount of water and detergent used to wash a dirty diaper). Honestly though...after seeing my baby's first diaper, I gave up the idea of using cloth =P I applause those that are able to do it, but it is not for me...at least not for the first few months when I am still trying to learn the routine of taking care of a new born...



Then I discovered G-Diapers. www.gdiapers.ca They are cloth diapers with a biodegradable/flushable/disposable insert. After watching their introduction video, I decided to give them a try. I didn't order their "starter package" as I read some poor review on their new born size diapers...instead, I ordered an "everyday 6-pack" and a couple of inserts to try. (you really only need 6 pants to start as the outer pants hardly ever gets dirty) I still remember how confused I was when I first open the package...the insert seems so big that I doubt it would fit inside the inner lining...but after "stuffing" a few of them, I got a hang of it and it really is simple to use. 



So the big question is: Does it leak? The simple answer is: No for pee pee and sometimes for poo poo!
From my experience of every day use, only the inner lining would get dirty, the outer pants always stay clean and clear! If you wash the soiled lining immediately, everything would come off easily! There is definitely more work involve than using a disposable diaper, but it really isn't that bad!

Other than environmental concerns, are there any other reasons why I choose (and stick with) the G-Diaper? 

1. They are really super cute! I absolutely love the different colours/design they come in and the "G" logo at the back is just so adorable!

2. My baby's bum bum is clear of rashes! Although the inner lining is plastic, the disposable insert is plastic free, super absorbent, and keeps my baby's bum bum happy!

3. Does not leak onto my Baby's clothes! Even with my baby's "Explosive" diapers, the G was able to contain the mess within the inner lining. I haven't had any incident where the mess would get onto my baby's clothes!



My baby has moved from "Small" to "Medium" size in 4 months. We can no longer use the small size pants, liner or insert! I had to order the next size up G pants...another investment...but luckily the next size up inner lining and inserts are good for M/L/XL size. Like most other products, we Canadians pay so much more than the Americans for the exact same product!  If I live in the states, I could buy these inserts on-line at 29 cents each. In Canada though, they regularly sell for 47 cents each! I always keep an eye out for discounts and stock up when I find a good deal =) 


Recently noticed they have a product call "G Cloth Liner", which is a liner for cloth diapers, "Capture the poopy mess while the wetness passes through". Unfortunately I couldn't find much information on this lining...but will definitely be looking for it at the Snuggle buz booth in the Baby Time show this coming weekend and see if I can get more information in it!


No comments:

Post a Comment